Lidl has launched the “Good To Give” trustmark which aims to diversify the donations being given to struggling families. Shoppers can find the label on 30 different items
Lidl has become the first UK supermarket to introduce a new label that will help those who are relying on food banks.
The discounter has launched the “Good To Give” trustmark which aims to diversify the donations being given to struggling families.
Shoppers looking to donate to food banks can find the label on 30 different items across all Lidl stores in the UK.
The signage will highlight carefully selected long-life items that offer a greater variety of nutritional benefits.
The products selected include tinned fruit, lentils, mackerel, noodles, and brown rice.
Once picked up by a shopper, the item can then be dropped at food donation points located past the checkouts in Lidl stores, ready for the supermarket to deliver them to food banks.
“Good To Give” was developed by Lidl in consultation with Neighborly – a platform that connects surplus food with local good causes.
It comes after 87% of charities reported needing a greater range of food types to be donated to help those in need have a healthy, balanced diet.
Would you like to see other supermarkets launch similar initiatives to help food bank users? Let us know in the comments below
Over nine in ten charities believe that it will have a significant impact on their organization and the communities that they serve.
Ryan McDonnell, chief executive officer at Lidl GB, said: “At Lidl, we’re committed to making good food accessible to everyone and now, more than ever, it’s important that we stay true to this.
“We’ve been listening to feedback from our charity partners on how we can best support them at this time.
“Through these conversations it became clear we can play a leading role in helping those relying on food banks to maintain a more nutritious, balanced diet by encouraging our customers to donate a little differently.
“We hope that more retailers will adopt the ‘Trustmark’ so that we can work together as an industry to help more people access the balanced and nutritious diet that they need.”
Steve Butterworth, CEO of Neighbourly, added: “Through our work with local charities and good causes, supported by our latest community insights surveys, we can see how the cost of living crisis is causing steep rises in demand for food banks and front-line services.
“This is only going to increase in the coming months. With the launch of this new initiative, Lidl is demonstrating that they are truly committed to finding innovative ways to support their customers and local communities.”
Full list of Good To Give items
- Freshona Pickled Gherkins Reduced Salt 720ml
- Italian Cherry Tomatoes 425ml
- Freshona Crinkle Cut Beetroot Salt Reduced 720ml
- Freshona Marrowfat Processed Peas 300g
- Freshona Sweetcorn Super Sweet 425ml
- Freshona Garden Peas 425ml
- Freshona Sliced Mushrooms 314ml
- Freshona Peas & Baby Carrots 425ml
- Freshona Pineapple Slices in Juice 580ml
- Freshona Mandarin Segments in Juice 314ml
- Crownfield Wholegrain Mini Wheats 500g
- Crownfield Wheat Biscuits (36) 720g
- Taste Of… Basmati Rice 1kg
- Taste Of… Brown Rice 1kg
- Langkorn Long Grain Rice 1kg
- Simply Peeled Potatoes 580ml
- Rowan Hill Bakery Part Baked Rolls 300g
- Rowan Hill Bakery Burger Buns 6 Piece 300g
- Couscous 1kg
- Vitasia Medium Ready to Wok Noodles
- Freshona Cannellini Beans / Butter Beans 400g
- Nixe Skipjack Tuna 400g
- Freshona Red Kidney Beans 425ml
- Freshona Chickpeas in Water 425ml
- Freshona Mixed Beans in Water 425ml
- Nixe Mackerel in Sunflower Oil 125ml
- Tower Gate All Butter Shortbread Fingers 210g
- Tower Gate Choclate Chip Cookies 200g
- Dairy Manor UHT Semi Skimmed Milk 1.5% 1l
- Vemondo Oat Milk 1l